Monday, November 17, 2008

Obligatory Karaoke Post

It's no use avoiding the inevitable.  Especially not in Japan, where the number one inevitability is waiting for you deep inside long corridors of neon and within private rooms-o-fun.

I'm talking karaoke here, folks.

Up until this past weekend, I had been avoiding my destiny with karaoke.  I mean, don't get me wrong...I absolutely LOVED a great night of belting tunes out on the town back in the States.  But it just made me wonder:  what's a fabulous night of karaoke without a bar full of mullets, $2 Miller Lights, and plenty of strangers to croon Tina and Ike's version of "Proud Mary" along with you?


Here in Japan, the birthplace of the pastime, things aren't quite as "rustic."  First of all, you and your group are led to your own private room, themed if you so choose.  After ordering food and choosing your drink options, you can get down to business.

 If you're old school, you can choose your song from one of the three phonebook-sized song lists.  Otherwise, you can scroll through the computerized version and then enter your song numbers onto this:


The coveted karaoke remote can adjust volume, add background vocals, "help" your voice with a voice mask, and even "gong" someone off and onto the next song if you so choose!


You need more beers?  Out of food?  Just pick up the phone and order...no song-pausing necessary!



All-in-all, I have to give Japanese karaoke an "A" for cultural experience and potential future-fun!  However, in my mind, nothing will ever compare to "Bohemian Rapsody" in a dark, lively bar accompanied by raspy, smoke-stained, NASCAR-shirt-wearing, local-yokel, good 'ol Amer-i-can barsters.

I've entered a whole new realm. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's why I like karaoke-box better than anything else I've every seen!!!!

--Rachel

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to say...

We received you box o'goodies today!! I already ate all the gummy candy. And I scarfed a custard treat. I'm leaving the azuki treats & umeboshi for the suckers...

--Rachel

Anonymous said...

Rachel must know that I also read you blog and the comments. I will have to beat her up for eating food and not sharing. I am currently eating the Japanese beer nuts.Yum!
Meagan

ThiessenTwosome said...

Yay!!! So glad that finally came! Damn...I sent it a month ago!!!!

Must...learn...how...to..speak...Japanese (so I can tell the post office to send it faster and not on boat mail)!!!

Hope you guys enjoyed the goodies and that all the edibles are still...edible!

Anonymous said...

in koreatown here in LA, they are exactly as you described. i always thought it was weird, but that is how the asian culture does their karaoke.
Hilarious!
~natalie