Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Sapporo Marathon 10K

It was an absolutely gorgeous fall day yesterday in Sapporo for the 33rd annual Sapporo Marathon (half, 10K, and 5K).  Sapporo has an extremely short autumn, so anytime I have the opportunity to be out and about amongst the vibrant trees, I do it!


The scenery wasn't the only thing that brought us out to the marathon.  Every student at SIT is required to run the thing...5K for girls (3.2 miles) and 10K for the boys (a little over 6 miles)!  I personally think it's an incredible feat to get a school of 1,000 students to all run either a 5K or a 10K...back home, a request like that would no doubt be met with parent (and student) protests, as well as the infamous "doctor's note," preventing any and all activity.  It's no wonder that the States, with it's "treat rather than prevent" mindset is in the healthcare crisis that it is!



Another cool thing about this event was that it began and ended at Makomani Stadium, which was built for and host to the 1972 Winter Olympics...


Oh yeah, and did I mention that I was signed up to run the 10K as well!  Out of about 100 teachers, I think only 4 or 5 of us ran (yes, those numbers aren't quite as impressive as the students)!


Can you spot the gaijin (foreigner) in the middle of this photograph?


Me at the end, feeling confident that I wasn't totally passed by EVERY high school boy, and trying to beat the speed-walker to the finish (in my defense, he wasn't walking the ENTIRE time):



For my first international race, it was a pretty good time.  I even had a student standing ovation and cheer squad from most of the school as I entered the stadium for the finish!  How often do you get THAT!?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you kick butt!!! I could totally find you in the "Where's the Foreigner" pic! Made me lauch!

Anonymous said...

i mean...laugh! not lauch!

Marathon 10k said...

I know you'd enjoyed this run. Hope to see you soon for then next event.