Thursday, September 25, 2008

Keitai Gods Taketh Away. Keitai Gods Giveth.

After my first painful fiasco of trying to get a cell phone ( or "keitai", as they're lovingly called here), I admit, I was a little scarred from trying again.  The persistent chants of "When are you EEEVVER going to get a keitai??", however, finally drove me back to the electronics store last Sunday.  There, armed with the new confidence of having my own Japanese bank account and my Alien Registration Card (two things I didn't have on my first attempt), we proceeded to chose the cheapest plan, choose the cheapest phones, and get registered for our new service!

And then I was denied.  Again.  All because my Hokkaido bank card says only my first and last name, whereas my passport says my first, last, and middle names!  It was about that time that I began to feel like a cursed middle-named freak!!

Tuesday, we went back for the proverbial third try.  Denied.  Fourth and fifth attempts with my names switched around.  Rejected.  Just because the Japanese government has approved you for residency and decided you're not a terrorist doesn't mean the cell phone companies will!  Sixth attempt with a "different" signature.  Nada.

And then, after 3 1/2 hours, seven attempts, and some of the nicest, persistent staff EVER, we got to walk away with two fully functional, wonderful keitais!  There was a large, loud round of applause when my name finally went through!  I was so happy that I got my photo with the two gals who relentlessly helped us:


They felt so bad for my long trife with Softbank (keitai company) that they sent me home with 50 free coffee coupons from McDonalds (which got me thinking, "Do they just keep these on hand? Or were they waiting around for the right schmuck to come along?"):


And here they are in all of their glory!  I'm particularly proud of the "his and her" kabuki decals I found to help us feel more Japanese-y:


So there, hopefully, is where the keitai saga ends.  Please contact us for phone details if you want to...uh...contact us!

1 comment:

Katharine said...

Cute phones. My students took pictures of their "old-fashioned" phones to show your kids. Mine were mesmerized by the options available at the cellphone store.